Does Liposuction Leave Behind Scars?
Liposuction, a popular cosmetic procedure, involves the removal of excess fat from specific areas of the body. While it offers transformative results, many potential candidates are concerned about scarring. Here we explore specific techniques and how to minimise scarring post-procedure.
Liposuction Understanding the Liposuction Procedure
Liposuction uses a thin, hollow tube called a cannula. It is inserted into the body to break up and suction out fat. A range of techniques can be employed:
- Vaser technique: Ultrasound energy is used to shred the fat layer before cannulas remove homogeneous fat tissue
- Infrasonic Tickle technique: Utilises special cannulas that use vibrations to shred fat layer under the skin
- Laser-assisted technique: Utilises laser energy for fat breakdown. Typically involves a shorter healing time
Liposuction And The Nature of Scarring
Any surgical procedure, including liposuction, requires incisions, which inherently can leave scars. The surgeon’s skill, the technique utilised and individual healing factors impact the appearance of scars.
Techniques and Scarring
- Tumescent Technique: Generally involves very small incisions, leading to minimal scarring
- Ultrasound & Laser Techniques: These might require slightly larger incisions, but advancements in technology and technique aim to minimise visible scars
Acibadem's Approach to Minimising Scarring After Liposuction
At Acibadem, our surgeons are trained in advanced liposuction techniques. Emphasis is placed on making the smallest incisions possible and strategic placement to hide scars. Post-operative care, including using specialised creams and treatments, can help scars to heal.
Liposuction How Patients Can Help Minimise Scarring
Post-operative care is not only the responsibility of the medical team. Patients play a crucial role:
- Avoid Sun Exposure: UV rays can darken scars, making them more noticeable.
- Follow Medical Advice: Adhering to post-op guidelines can promote faster and better healing
- Stay Hydrated and Nourished: Good nutrition can enhance the body's natural healing processes
What To Do Before The Procedure
- Smoking and Alcohol: Smoking and alcohol consumption should be stopped 2 weeks prior to procedure
- Blood Thinning Drugs/Foods: Consumption of blood thinning drugs and/or foods should be stopped 2 weeks prior to procedure
- Salt and Sugar: Sugar and salt usage before should be limited before procedure
Liposuction does involve incisions that can lead to scarring. With the right care and expertise, scarring can be minimised and eventually fade over time. Always consult with professionals, such as those at Acibadem, to fully understand the procedure and outcomes. To book a consultation visit the Acibadem Beauty Center Liposuction page.
How long before scarring fades?
Scars begin to fade within months. It might take a year or more for them to become less noticeable
Can creams and ointments help in scar healing?
Yes, certain medicated creams can enhance scar healing. Consult your doctor before using any product
Are scars dependent on the treatment area?
Some body areas might heal better than others. Discuss potential scarring with your surgeon for specific areas
How much fat can be extracted at one time?
A maximum of 4-5 kilograms of fat can be removed during liposuction
Is liposuction worth the potential scars?
For many, the transformative results of it outweigh concerns about scarring. Especially when handled by skilled professionals like those at Acibadem.