Gastric Sleeve in Turkey: What to Expect, Procedure, Cost
Gastric sleeve surgery has become a popular weight loss solution worldwide. It is also known as a sleeve gastrectomy and is a type of bariatric surgery. In Turkey, this procedure has gained attention particularly due to its affordability without compromising quality. The country has a growing status as a medical tourism hub including for obesity surgery. This article explores what to expect from undergoing a gastric sleeve procedure in Turkey. The process, recovery, and costs involved will be explored.
Understanding Gastric Sleeve Surgery
What is a Gastric Sleeve?
Gastric sleeve surgery is a type of bariatric surgery. It involves removing a portion of the stomach and reduces stomach size by about 80%. This limits food intake so patients feel fuller quicker, therefore promoting weight loss. It's a permanent procedure and a significant step towards long-term weight management.
Why Choose Turkey for Gastric Sleeve Surgery?
One of the primary reasons patients choose Turkey is the cost advantage. Gastric sleeve surgery in Turkey can be significantly cheaper than in other countries. This is without compromising on the quality of care or outcomes.
Advanced Medical Facilities
Turkish hospitals boast state-of-the-art technology and facilities. They adhere to international healthcare standards, ensuring patients receive the best possible care.
Turkey's surgeons are highly skilled and often have international experience and accreditation in bariatric surgery.
Combining Recovery with a Holiday
Many patients appreciate the opportunity to recover in a country known for its rich culture. It also has an interesting history and lots of natural beauty.
The Gastric Sleeve Procedure in Turkey
- Patients undergo a thorough evaluation to confirm their eligibility for the surgery.
- This includes medical history, physical examination, and necessary tests.
- It is usually performed on patients with a BMI over 40. Sometimes it is performed on those with a 35 BMI and obesity related health problems.
- Performed under general anaesthesia, it usually takes 1-2 hours.
- The procedure involves creating a new small, sleeve-shaped stomach.
- The stomach will be around the size and shape of a banana.
- It uses a laparoscopic or robot-assisted approach.
- Hospital stay is typically around 3 days.
- Patients are advised to follow a liquid diet initially, gradually transitioning to solid foods.
- Regular follow-up is crucial for monitoring health and progress.
- Dieticians and specialists provide guidance for dietary changes and lifestyle adjustments.
Cost of Gastric Sleeve in Turkey
Factors Affecting the Cost
- The surgeon's expertise and hospital's location.
- The extent of pre-and post-operative care included.
- Additional costs like accommodation, if part of a treatment package.
- While prices vary, gastric sleeve surgery in Turkey is generally between $4,000 and $5,000. This is significantly lower than the cost in many Western countries such as the UK.
Considerations and Risks
Risks and Complications
- Like any major surgery, risks include infection, bleeding, and complications related to anaesthesia.
- Long-term risks for gastric sleeve include nutritional deficiencies and possible need for revision surgery.
Making an Informed Decision
- Patients should research extensively, choose accredited clinics, and have realistic expectations about the surgery's outcomes.
- This procedure is permanent and irreversible, so is a big decision and life change.
Gastric sleeve surgery in Turkey offers an effective solution for weight loss at affordable prices. Patients will see rapid weight loss and health improvement without affecting food absorption. They combine skilled medical professionals, modern facilities, and the opportunity for an enjoyable recovery. Turkey stands out as a preferred destination for this life-changing procedure.
For more information on ACIBADEM’s Gastric Sleeve surgeries, please visit the ACIBADEM Beauty Centre Weight Loss Surgery page.
Frequently Asked Questions
1.Is gastric sleeve surgery in Turkey safe?
Yes, when performed at accredited facilities by experienced surgeons, it is safe.
2.How long should I stay in Turkey for the surgery?
A typical stay, including pre-surgery evaluation and initial recovery, is about 7-10 days.
3.What is the success rate of gastric sleeve surgery in Turkey?
Success rates are high, comparable to international standards, with many patients achieving significant weight loss.
4.Are there any dietary restrictions post-surgery?
Patients must adhere to a specific diet plan starting with liquids and gradually introducing solids.
5.Can I combine my medical trip with sightseeing in Turkey?
Yes, many patients enjoy combining their medical treatment with a holiday in Turkey.